Saturday, April 9, 2011

A Look at Priorities

This is a devotion that I shared at Moms & Tots a few months ago. I thought I would share it with you here.

I am constantly trying to remind myself what is important & trying to keep my priorities in check. This is an area of my life that needs to checked every so often.

How about you? Are you priorities in check?
What are you busy with?
Make a pie chart of your life.

What percentage do you spend:
Working – at home or away
Cooking/Baking
Caring for Kids
Spending Time as a family
Church activities
Hobbies

Now take a look at the chart in front of you. How would you like to see it change?

Proverbs 3:5,6 says: "Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding. In all thy ways acknowledge Him and he will direct your paths.

So often we go about our lives without asking God to lead and guide us. Then what happens? We become worn out & exhausted.

I found this little devotional: (and it sure applies to me)

"I have a confession to make. I am an addict. A serious addict. And I know many others who share my awful obsession. No, it is not to alcohol or drugs or nicotine. It isn’t trashy TV or romance novels. I am addicted to busyness.
In my defense, today we dwell in a society that not only encourages the busy lifestyle, it even applauds and rewards it! And what gal in her right mind doesn’t want an “’atta girl” now and then? Why, our society goes as far as to paint those who live life at a slower pace as freeloaders or slackers. “Why can’t so-and-so help a little with this bake sale? She doesn’t do nearly half as much as I do!” If left unchecked, our busyness can crowd out the most important things in life—God and our families. I have had to learn the hard way that in order to be an effective woman of God, wife and mother, I need to not only slow down, regularly scraping commitments off of my too full plate, but sometimes I need to stop altogether. Yes, in the Christian life, retreat is required. Running full steam ahead at Energizer bunny speed is not only stupid, it is downright dangerous. Even the Lord Jesus had regular times of rest and withdrawal. We need to follow His lead. I have come to realize the truth of the saying, “If Satan can’t make you bad, he’ll make you busy.” (Being Under Satan’s Yoke)And dear ones, both states render us useless and ineffective for the kingdom. Decide today that very soon you too will cease, retreat and refuel. You won’t regret it."

Matthew 11:28-29 “Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls.”

Every June, the ladies of our church go on a retreat at a cabin at lower Fishing Lake. Last year(2009), God spoke to me about having a quiet spirit. He had been speaking to me about this for awhile but I was not listening. I was the type of person that could not say “no”. I was WM president, Sunday school secretary, in charge of baby ministry. I also took my kids to playgroup & storytime & lead that. I was super woman or I thought I was because I did everything. All the while, I kept being told to slow down. In August we found out we were having twins. This is what it took for me to slow down. I quit everything. And since I have learned that it is okay to say no to things, even good things.

1 Tim 2:2 “that we may lead a quiet and peaceable life in all godliness and honesty. For this is good and acceptable in the sight of God our Saviour;

1 Peter 3:4 But let it be the hidden man of the heart, in that which is not corruptible, even the ornament of a meek and quiet spirit, which is in the sight of God of great price.

Hebrews 4 talks about entering into His rest. I did that but it is so easy to get back to being busy as you can imagine with 5 children.

How do you keep your priorities in check? Is it time to take a break, step back, retreat & refuel?

3 comments:

  1. Thank you Jamie for sharing this. I really appreciate what you had to say about regularly checking priorities as well as it being ok, even necessary, to take the time once in a while to rest and spend time refuelling. Why is it that we easily feel guilty taking half a day or a day or whatever it takes to get away from it all and be recharged? Sure, we may not get as much "regular" work done that day, but oh the benefits we and those around us will reap as a result if we take the time to get alone with God on a "Renew Day" and find refreshment for body, soul and spirit. I think I will have to start scheduling "Renew" days on my calendar. :) Thanks for the encouragement. I am so blessed when I see your family hanging out, going for walks, just taking time to be together! Melisa

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much Melisa. You are an encouragement to me. Thanks for commenting. Hope you are feeling "renewed".

    ReplyDelete
  3. Also, it came to me as I was falling asleep last night. When you are renewed, you are able to bless others.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for letting me know that you are reading this blog and that you are encouraged.