There is a story in the Bible(Luke 10:38-42) about 2 women named Mary & Martha. Martha invited Jesus & His disciples to her home. Martha set about serving in the best way she knew how - by preparing a delicious meal. Her sister, Mary, was in awe of Jesus and she planted herself right at His feet. Mary didn't want miss anything that Jesus had to say. Martha was busy in the kitchen & getting frustrated with her sister, she asked "Lord, do you not care that my sister has left me to serve alone? Tell her to help me" Jesus answered her saying "Martha, Martha,you are worried and upset about many things, but few things are needed—or indeed only one.Mary has chosen what is better, and it will not be taken away from her.”
Which sister do you identify with? I think most women are more like Martha, always busy "doing" yet that is not what is required of us. That doesn't mean that we become idle or lazy. I think that this is where balance comes in. The most important is time spent at Jesus feet asking Him what he would have us do then we have the time & energy to do what is required of us.
I came across a song again recently that really speaks to me.
"A quiet afternoon in Bethany
Mary sits alone at Jesus feet
But in the other room Martha had so much to do
She was missin out on fellowship sweet
And I know I could be Martha all day
And let my chance to be with Jesus slip away
I want to be Mary for awhile
In all that I do
Close the door to everything that keeps my heart from you
Lord I want to rest here
And feel heaven smile & be Mary for awhile
I know I'd make Martha proud of me
With lots to do & places I must be
Yet I need this time to refresh my heart & mind
Your presence, Lord, is just what I need
Cause I know I could be Martha all day and
Let my chance to be with You slip away
Draw me nearer, Draw me nearer precious Lord
Draw me nearer to Your side
I want to be Mary for awhile
(song by The Perry's. You can listen to here)
There are times in my life that I will admit that I was much more of a Martha than a Mary but today this song is word for word the desire that is in my heart.
Friday, March 14, 2014
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


No comments:
Post a Comment
Thank you for letting me know that you are reading this blog and that you are encouraged.