Tuesday, August 27, 2013

How & Why We Do What We Do?

I like to use Facebook as a source of encouragement. I like to encourage others and I also like to receive encouragement. I receive a lot of encouragement from the blogs I read so I "like" them on Facebook so they show up in my news feed. One of the blogs I really enjoy reading is 
Always Learning.

Last week I read a blog post titled "The Myth of Needing Two Incomes".  I posted a portion from that blog post on Facebook to encourage other Moms that stay at home & live on one income. 
It read:

"It is sad to me that some people think that having two incomes is a necessity. You may need two incomes to keep up your current lifestyle, but you don't need two incomes. You just have to learn to live within your means, which may mean getting rid of a second car, living in an apartment not a house, learning to cook simple meals, buying second hand-only things that are really needed. 

A simple humble life with my loved ones is better than any big paycheck. People are what make life great, not things. As long as your husband has an income, however small, you can live off it. Nothing is more precious to me than raising my children and caring for my family. "

After posting this, I received some back lashing from those Moms who do choose to work outside the home. Sadly, I think it was misinterpreted. It does not say that Moms cannot work outside the home. It says that "you don't need two incomes".

I do have to say that I was actually surprised that so many people were offended by what was wrote, especially since I was posting it as an encouragement. There may even be some working Moms that are wishing that they could stay home with their children but just don't think that one income is feasible. I wanted to encourage those Moms.

Working outside the home or staying at home with your children both has its challenges. I have been on both sides of the spectrum. I worked outside the home, part time(3/4 time) until I had the twins. I enjoyed my job and was still spending most of my days at home with my children but this posed its challenges.

Some feel that they are  a better Mom to their children if they have some time away from them. This can be true but for me it caused so much more stress on our family.

Titus 2:5 says "women are to be keepers of the home"

Some may argue that a women can be keepers of the home even when working outside the home. If you can do this, good for you. I do not feel that I can successfully do both. 

I feel that as a Christian, I am called to be at home with my children. My family is my first priority. I do not want to live with regrets & I do not want to look back & wish that I would have stayed home with my children. I do not think my children will look back & wish that their Mom worked outside the home. I think they will be thankful that I stayed at home with them.

If you think this thinking is far out there, that's perfectly understandable. Our generation wasn't raised with the idea of homemaking in mind as an option for themselves. The previous 
generations rebelled against the very notion. Homemaking is now  synonymous with being under-appreciated, degraded, and failing to live up to one's potential as a strong, intelligent woman.
As a nation has turned it's back on God, society changed in so many ways & one of those ways is making women feel like they are less of a person if they are "just a mom". But, in fact, that is the highest calling any women could have. 

"Much of the world would agree that being a housekeeper is acceptable 
as long as you are not caring for your own home; treating men with 
attentive devotion would also be right as long as the man is the boss 
in the office and not your husband; caring for children would even be 
deemed heroic service for which presidential awards could be given as 
long as the children are someone else's and not your own." 
~ Dorothy Patterson 

Over the past year, I have felt the importance, even more, of being at home with our children. I feel God calling me to a deeper level of commitment. It is a true blessing & an honor to be able to do so.

I have had a few Moms ask me how we do what we do, how do we live on one income. I have to stop and think about it actually. 

Some things we do:

Shop flyers
-  only buy items when they are on sale

Meal plan
- I make a monthly meal plan based on items that we already have on hand
- eat meals at home not at restaurants 

Make homemade laundry soap

 If we don't have the $ for it, we don't buy it. 
- the only exception is a house & a vehicle

Live simply & be content with what we have



 It can be done! Those brought up to be career women have a hard time 
 with the thought of being a stay at home mom. But if you have that desire there are many ways to make it possible.

I want to be wholly committed to what God has called me to do. And in doing so I want to encourage others.

I am connecting with other Moms that are the same page as me on:



No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for letting me know that you are reading this blog and that you are encouraged.