Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Schedules & Routines

Back to school is less than a week away. Some are happy about that, some are not. While I enjoy a break in summer, I look forward to routine.

 I thrive on schedules & routines yet all summer we have a very flexible schedule. Otherwise known as no schedule at all. We have a very relaxed summer but now with back to school it is time to back into the swing of things. At the end of June I am always ready to have a break & by the end of August I am ready to get back into routine. The kids also like routine. I have spent the last couple of weeks getting ready for the new school year.

 Here are a few things that I do to get the house & family ready for `back to school`.

 1. Out with the Old, In With the New - I empty the kids backpacks at the end of June and refill them at the same time to see what is still needed to be purchased.

 2. Shop Sales - We purchase school supplies when they are on sale and we purchase more than we need. The bottom drawer of our filing cabinet is filled with school supplies. This year I had enough stock to fill all 3 backpacks. I still purchased items on sale to restock the drawer. We save a lot money doing this.(we also do this with groceries but that is a post for another day)

3. Sort Through Clothes- I go through each of the kids closets, drawers & under the bed storage to see what is needed for new clothes.

4. DeClutter- clean out closets, drawers

5. Make a Meal Calendar - I used to use a monthly calendar but now I am using a weekly one(from menumom.com) that includes 3 meals & 2 snacks each day. This weekly one works better for the child care in our home. I made up 4 weeks and will rotate them.

6. Print Out Schedules & Routines- I make a morning & evening routine for the kids as well as one for myself.(including a cleaning schedule) We practice this a week in advance so it it is not such a shock to our systems. This week is back to 8pm bedtimes so we start at 7:30 around the table as a family with devotions & prayer, teeth brushed & off to bed.

Share what do you do to prepare for back to school.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for letting me know that you are reading this blog and that you are encouraged.